Life at Pixelberry
None of this would be possible without a tight-knit team of eager, passionate, and talented minds. At Pixelberry, we do what we love, and we love what we get to do. The entire company laughs through lunch together daily, lines up for movie field trips on opening day, and plays board games late into the night. And the first time you get a thank-you message from a troubled teen player or their mother telling you that your game literally saved their life, you’ll know that you haven’t just found a job. You’ve found a purpose.
- Relaxed, open office environment
- Work from home Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Board game nights, movie field trips, and murder mystery parties!
- That warm fuzzy feeling that you’re not just making a difference at a company, but in the lives of people all over the world
JUNIOR GAME WRITER
Junior Game Writer
Pixelberry is a studio in Mountain View, CA dedicated to creating games with heart. Many members of our team have worked together in the mobile space for over a decade. We're 5 for 5 in developing Top 100 games that blend addictive design with compelling narrative gameplay. Through our Top 10 title "High School Story," we've partnered with leading nonprofits to tackle teen issues like cyberbullying and eating disorders in our storylines, donating $350,000 to The Cybersmile Foundation in the process.
None of this would be possible without a tight-knit team of eager, passionate, and talented minds. At Pixelberry, we do what we love, and we love what we get to do. The entire company laughs through lunch together, lines up for movie field trips on opening day, and plays board games late into the night. And the first time you get a thank-you message from a troubled teen player or their mother telling you that your game literally saved their life, you'll know that you haven't just found a job. You've found a purpose.
We are offering an entry-level "Junior Game Writer" position for our latest game, Choices: Stories You Play, at our Mountain View office. This is an on-site, full-time position that requires at least 40 hours per week. Pay rate is competitive, depending on experience (ranging from $17.50/hour to more depending on ability and quality of writing), and comes with benefits and the option of paid overtime (overtime is 1.5 x the hourly rate per hour).
Why This Job is Different
- Feel good about what you do. High School Story has literally saved lives.
- Learn about the business side of mobile games. Because we're a small company, our writers often weigh in on big decisions.
- Enjoy good company. We’re a small, tight team that enjoys each other’s company. Two couples actually met via the studio and got married.
Job Description and Responsibilities
You will be working with a team of writers to deliver weekly, quality content to our story-based apps. This position involves creative writing, extensive editorial work, game testing, and some social media networking as well as other more technical or artistic tasks. Given our small-studio format, you might find yourself wearing a variety of hats; candidates should be open and eager to work in several roles and learn new skills.
Our ideal candidate writes stories with interesting characters and compelling narratives, is able to follow the established style and tone of our games, and can write from a variety of perspectives. Additionally, candidates should be able to receive frequent feedback, adapt writing to meet requirements, and consistently meet tight deadlines. Excellent copywriting and editing skills are a must.
- Major in English, specifically creative writing.
- Technical proficiency (some computer science coursework).
- Knowledge about and passion for the gaming industry, specifically the mobile gaming space.
- Familiarity making posts on Facebook, Twitter, and tumblr.
- Familiarity with Photoshop, Pixelmator, or other photo-editing software.
- Understanding of current high school trends and pop culture.
- A cover letter, indicating why you’re interested in the position.
- A current resume, highlighting writing and educational experience.
- A writing sample (short story, script, or game writing). We prefer fictional samples of writing that showcase friendship and romance. If you have more than one applicable sample, you can send more than one.
Please put your resume and writing sample into the body of an email (no attachments) with the subject line 'Junior Game Writer - [Your Name]’. Candidates will not be considered without a writing sample. Submit materials to Eric at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to download and play Choices: Stories You Play, High School Story, and Hollywood U (available on iOS, Android, and Kindle) to get a feel for the type of work our studio does.
Location: Mountain View, CA
Keywords: entry level, entry-level, junior, game writer, writing, mobile games, iOS, Android